Sustainable project highlight: 20 Massachusetts Ave in Washington, D.C.
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., 20 Massachusetts Ave is is exemplary in its commitment to both environmental sustainability and human health, recognizing the synergies between the two. The adaptive reuse project repositions an outdated office building into a vibrant mixed use development that is seeking both LEED Gold and WELL Silver certification.
Project features include:
- Enhanced ventilation and filtration carefully calibrated to maximize the quality of the indoor air.
- High-performance glazing contributing to more than a 20 percent reduction in energy consumption for operations.
- Materials selection minimizes embodied carbon emissions and human health impacts, such as chemical composition and VOC emissions.
- A green roof passively captures rainwater and provide biophilic benefits
- Low-flow filters reduce water consumption by 40 percent
- Fresh, clean drinking water is prioritized and potable water is screened and filtered for contaminants