Second Harvest Heartland
The new facility includes areas for food sorting, prepping and packing by thousands of volunteers annually; cooler space and freezer space to increase capacity of fresh foods distributed; expanded ambient warehouse space; office and community meeting space; and an on-site food pantry.
SHH desired a design that conveyed a sense of community and connecting to their mission of ending hunger through community partnerships. The design features glass walls throughout the facility to connect the welcome center to the volunteer center and the food warehouse, creating a visual connection from the volunteers and staff back to the food. Office areas are open, and the staff break area is shared by office, warehouse and production staff.
At a glance
- 233,000 SF building repurposing
- Box-in-a-box freezer and cooler space
- Collaborative office workspace
- Volunteer Center to host 200 volunteers per shift
- Community program support space
- Office and support areas for 200 employees and 50 office volunteers
- 150,000 SF distribution center with five temperature zones
- Site Evaluation
- Interior Design
- Refrigeration Engineering
- Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, and Civil Engineering
- Construction Administration Services