Client Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority

Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) - Terminal & Air Traffic Control Tower

Washington, DC

In association with Cesar Pelli, LEO A DALY served as prime consultant, engineer, and executive architect for this major airport. The project consists of two components: the South Terminal Renovation, and the North Terminal, the centerpiece of a decade-long $800 million terminal renovation. Along with the airport terminal, the project also included the design of the 196-foot tall airport traffic control tower (ATCT) with a 545-SF cab and a 27,300-SF terminal radar approach control (TRACON) facility.

While maintaining an aggressive schedule and completing the project without causing any disruptions to on-going airport operations, we also coordinated the activities of more than 20 consultants and concurrently managed the related vehicle and pedestrian circulation project. This project placed new elevated roadways, and connected attached perpendicular terminal pedestrian walkways from the new terminal, through the Metro station, and on to the parking garage to create a truly multi-modal facility. 

At a glance

27,300 SF Terminal Radar Approach Control Facility

196 FT Tall Air Traffic Control Tower


Significant cost reductions through value engineering

Aggressive Project Schedule

Managed over 20 Consultants

Honor Award - Job of the Year
National Terrazzo & Mosaic Association

WBC Craftsmanship Award for Outstanding Work
Washington Building Congress, Inc.

Honor Award - Design for Transportation National Awards
US Department of Transportation

Terminal Design in association with Cesar Pelli & Associates


Executive Architect

Prime Consultant

Mechanical and Electrical Engineer

"The striking new terminal may be the most aesthetically pleasing in the country."


below the client’s budget. LEO A DALY’s design saved the airport $4.5 million.


The DCA site was selected by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1938. As much of the land was underwater at the time, almost 20 million cubic yards of sand and gravel were moved onto the site.