US District Court - Newport News
Newport News, Virigina
The design of the courthouse balances the needs for heightened security while presenting a sense of stability and openness of the American justice system. The building is organized for ease of public access and orientation through a two-story lobby with views of the James River. Circulation and functional planning integrate separated jury, judge, and staff areas and isolate prisoner movement. Courtrooms are on the upper two floors with adjacent judge’s chambers and jury rooms. Office areas include space for the district clerk staff, US Marshals Service, and court security officers. The structure is designed to meet progressive collapse requirements, with glazing and walls planned for blast protection. This project has received LEED-NC certification.
At a glance
Pursuit of Excellence Award
Kiewit Building Group
Two-story lobby with views of the James River
Engineering: Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Structural, Fire Protection, Civil
"The General Services Administration has made our new courthouse the model for the entire United States under the GSA's build to lease program . . . everyone in this process, from GSA to the architects, has made this grand day possible. This beautiful new courthouse is a perfect venue for our rulings on questions of law and our decisions on contested questions of fact, which often occur in an instantaneous and sometimes a lone manner . . . it makes the process of judging - which requires reasoning, discipline, compassion, and grace - move forward in the City of Newport News and the surrounding areas of the Peninsula."
(Keynote Address, Ribbon Cutting Ceremony)
The first courthouse and jail were located at Warwick Towne, established in 1680.
Houses District and Magistrate Courtrooms, District clerk staff, US Marshals Service and US Attorney's offices, as well as judges' chambers, jury rooms and holding rooms.
Newport News was once a part of Warwick County. By order of King Charles I, in 1634 the House of Burgesses in the British Colony of Virginia made Warwick County one of the eight original shires of Virginia.